Aura moderate evocation; CL 13th
Slot —; Price 60,250 gp; Weight 5 lbs.
Carved from darkwood and topped with a small globe of swirling colors, this staff creates small globes of varying hue in the wielder’s hand that can be hurled or fired (as ammunition) at a selected target. The wielder must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit the target. Each orb deals 1d6 points of force damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +20) to the target. If an orb misses the target, it dissipates without further effect. In addition to force damage, each orb creates the following effects according to its hue.
- White Orb (1 charge): This orb creates a burst of light in 20-foot radius equal to that of a light spell. Any creature caught within the light burst must make a Fortitude save of be dazzled for 1 round per caster level of the staff. This effect is unaffected by spell resistance.
- Red Orb (1 charge): This orb generates heat equal to a heat metal spell.
- Orange Orb (1 charge): This orb generates a searing explosion of flame that detonates on impact in a 10-foot radius spread around the target and deals 3d6 points of fire damage +1 point of damage per caster level (maximum +20) to every creature within the area (Reflex save for half damage). This explosion sets fire to combustibles and damages objects within a 20-foot radius of the target, and can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the flames may continue beyond the barrier if the area permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.
- Yellow Orb (1 charge): This orb causes the target to become blinded as the blindness/deafness spell. If the saving throw is successful, the target is dazzled for 1d4 rounds. A remove blindness/deafness or heal spell negates the blinded condition.
- Green Orb (1 charge): This orb creates a cloud of noxious gas as the stinking cloud spell. This is a poison effect.
- Blue Orb (1 charge): This orb creates a burst of crackling electricity in a 10-foot radius spread around the target and deals 4d6 points of electricity damage +1 point of damage per caster level (maximum +20) to every creature within the area (Reflex save for half damage). If a creature is wearing ferrous metal it becomes magnetized for 3d6 rounds. Magnetized metal will stick fast to other magnetized metal items, and non-magnetized ferrous metal items will cling until pulled free. Magnetized metal object can be pulled free if the creature succeeds on a DC 20 Strength check. Any creature that succeeds on its save negates the magnetized effect but is staggered for 1d4 rounds.
- Indigo Orb (2 charges):This orb causes the target to become paralyzed as the hold monster spell.
- Violet Orb (2 charges): This orb cause the target becomes petrified as the flesh to stone spell. If the target succeeds on its save, it is slowed (as the spell) for 1d4 rounds.
- Black Orb (3 charges): This orb deals 10 points of damage per caster level to the target as the finger of death spell. If the target succeeds on its Fortitude save, it instead takes 3d6 points of damage + 1 point per caster level, and is stunned for 1 round.
Construction Requirements Craft Staff, ball lightning, blindness/deafness, finger of death, flaming sphere, flesh to stone, heat metal, hold monster, light, stinking cloud; Cost 30,125 gp