Halfings are viewed as a small and unimportant race, more like children than grown-ups when compared to the other races. Howver, those who understand this diminutive race learn to trust their natural instincts and rely upon their luck and agility to stay out of danger.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following racial traits may be selected instead of the standard halfling racial traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Elemental Resistance: Halflings who dwell in the most extreme environments, from arctic wastelands to volcanic plains, develop natural resistance to the dangers of their homelands over the course of a few generations. Halflings with this racial trait gain elemental resistance 5 to acid, cold, electricity, or fire. This choice is made at character creation, and once made it cannot be changed. This racial trait replaces fearless.
- Extreme Survivalist: Some halflings have adapted to extreme environments allows them to suffer no harm from being in either a hot or cold environment. Choose either hot or cold extremes. If the halfling chooses hot, the halfling can exist comfortably in conditions between 50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit (10 and 60 degrees Celsius) without having to make Fortitude saves. If the halfing chooes cold, the halfling can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-45 and 0 degrees Celsius) without having to make Fortitude saves. This does not provide any protection from fire or cold damage, nor does it protect equipment or against other environmental hazards such as smoke, lack of air, and so forth. This racial trait replaces halfing luck.
- Naive Trickster: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Sleight of Hand checks. This racial trait replaces sure-footed.
- Obstinate: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate and Survival checks, as well as a +2 racial bonus to CMD when against dirty tricks and overrun combat maneuvers. This trait replaces the sure-footed trait.
- Xenophobic: Isolationist halflings despise non-halfling humanoids. They speak only Halfling and do not gain any bonus languages from possessing a high Intelligence score. In addition, they learn only one language per 2 ranks of Linguistics they possess. However, their untrusting nature gives them a +1 bonus against mind-affecting effects, except for fear affects. This racial trait replaces ahalfling's normal languages.
You can combine various alternate racial traits to create halfling subraces or variant races, such as the following.
- Arctic Halfling: Halflings living in the cold regions of the far north or high mountain peaks have the extreme survivalist, and xenophobic traits.
- Feral Halfling: Halflings living in the wild and untamed reaches of the world have the obstinate and xenophobic traits. Depending upon thei region in which they live, the halfling can select the elemental resistance and extreme survivalist traits as well.
- Wanderkin Halfling: Halflings obsessed with traveling the world in search of adventure and excitement have the naive trickster and wanderlust traits.